Hot chocolate lolly kisses
It’s been hot and we are suffering a bit without any air-conditioning. Our upstairs has read into the 100’s, and that’s at night. Not a single one of us have not been cranky- Fish included. In the few hours we are home, after work and before bed, long after the coolness of the early morning has evaporated leaving behind the stifling heat that was able fester and boil all day long, just in time for our pending arrival we get to bear it. A bit dramatic, I know but still true. At any rate, due to everyone being cranky tired and just short in temperament, I did something I swore I would not do. I am not that mom. Oh, but apparently, I am that mom and I did do it. Started off innocent, basic self destruction, I picked up a yucky melted Tootsie pop and popped it in my mouth- complaining to myself that the heat melted the damn thing but continuing to eat it anyway, of course, trying to decide what we could eat for dinner that did not involve cooking, of course, only to spin round on my heels and feel the blazing stare of the most adorable two year old ever- as cranky as he may be- staring at me pointing and grunting… at… my stuffed mouth of shame. Really? What was I thinking… let’s just suck on some candy near a 2 yr old, cause that’s smart. I had about 10 seconds to decide if I was going to do the right thing; throw the pop away and listen to the horrendous fit that I knew would come- the red face, sweaty hair, high pitch scream, flailing all over the kitchen floor for the next 10 minutes, only to make the kiddo all the more hot and fry our nerves all the more, the middle thing; try to fit the dang stick all the way in mouth to hide it without choking… or the wrong thing; take it out and hand it over. Yeah, I totally chose the latter. It was just so much easier. Dad gave me the “are you kidding me” stare and Fish gave me the wide dimpled smile… glare vs. smile… I think I will take a Fishy smile any day, thank you very much. Oh, now of course I made him work for it- he had to say ‘please’ and he had to promise not fight me with his teeth brushing that night. I did get the please. So, for about 20 minutes Fish had a love affair with his lolly and his Dad (really but I gave it to you!??!?!?!) Despite the heat he giggled and relaxed and was happy. He put it down for dinner and we sequestered it. Think Dad had more sucks than Fish (or I) and we still don't know how many licks it takes to get to the center.
I love this one, he gazes in to his Daddy's eyes and almost gives him kisses- but then doesn't.
Just chillin'. He was so comfy... just propped his legs up, kicking his feet around and sucking on that lolly.
An ordinary summer Tuesday night.






No comments:
Post a Comment